The History of the Belpiano ski, Mountain Biking and Hiking Resort in Val Venosta
Since 1930: charming, traditional hiking and skiing holidays in South Tyrol
Developing the mountains surrounding Lake Resia and Lake San Valentino alla Muta to make them suitable for skiing began back in 1930. The founders of the Reschen/Resia ski club, who were also the area’s first ski pioneers, built the ski cabin in Roia. Yet, only with the completion of the first ski lift twenty years later, in 1953, did Belpiano and Malga di San Valentino start to become the well-loved destination for ski holidays in South Tyrol it is today. In the years that followed, Belpiano became popular as a mountain biking and hiking spot as well.
1960 was an important year for the development of the Belpiano-Roia ski resort as the construction of three new cable cars added new impetus to the region. One of the new cable cars lead from Resia to the Pleisen and into Val di Roia, the second from Curon to the Cima Termine and the third went from San Valentino alla Muta to Malga di San Valentino. Two years later, the gondola up to Malga di San Valentino was opened. In 1965, the lift from the ski house was built – this is significant as it was the first ever lift to be driven by a “Leitner” brand VM engine.
In 1980, a high-performance lift with a high load capacity and both Pofel lifts were built. Then, the resort became a public holding company and the local administration was admitted as members of the company. At the same time, new elections to the supervisory board are held – Oswald Folie becomes president, Dr Hans Waldner vice president. The Belpiano restaurant is built in 1982. In 1989, the opening of the new orbital cable car from Piz Belpiano and a widened piste are celebrated.
The lift facilities are electrified and additional garages for snow groomers are built; the IGLU at the valley station is opened, as is a ski service station. The region’s slope map is reworked and the decision is made to unite the Belpiano and Malga di San Valentino ski resorts. Then comes close cooperation between the three resorts of Belpiano, Nauders and Malga di San Valentino – together they comprise 30 lifts and 110km of pistes. The resorts establish an efficient ski bus link and lay the foundations for a collective advertising presence.
The Fraiten chair lift, that seats six, is built as a replacement for the two double chair lifts at the ski house. A three-year reworking of the slope plan, with suggestions of two linking options examined by a special committee, begins. From 2005, significant extensions to the pistes down into the valley, in Roia and the Zwölferkopf in Austria are carried out.
The Jochlift – a new, detachable six-seater chair lift – replaces the remaining drag lifts from 2010. The descent into the valley in Belpiano is widened. In autumn 2017, the newly elected supervisory board is increased from seven to nine members and Haider AG merges with Schöneben AG. A marvellous linking slope between San Valentino and Belpiano and the Höllental descent are built in early 2018.